Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Fusing

I got a few questions about fusing fabric after yesterday's post. I have written about my process here before, but maybe it's time for an update. I never liked using the conventional fusibles, so several years ago I went looking for something different. I found a product called Liquifuse and after some experimentation I had something that worked the way I liked. I never liked that fusible web on the whole piece of fabric makes it stiff and unnaturally rigid. This was a liquid that I could use only on the edges of my fabric pieces, so the result was soft and easy to stitch.  Furthermore, it sealed the edges of the fabric so much better than the fusible webs that I had been using and the edges did not fray. The liquid is not a glue, but rather a material that melts with heat applied to it and fuses fabrics together in that way.

I created a tutorial that demonstrated how I used it. You can see it here. The name of Liquifuse was changed to Liquid Thread and I refined the process, slightly, but it is essentially the process I have used for quite a few years now.

I was going to create a new tutorial. I have a new iPad and it seemed like an opportunity to make a little video to show how the Liquid Thread works. Ha! I recorded several videos and they were all kind of a mess and I could not really figure out how to edit them and then I found that they were too large to imbed into the blog! I think I have a little learning curve to negotiate before my videos are ready for prime time. But—I did end up with this little snippet that shows what the stuff looks like, so, for what it is worth—my directing debut......

Okay, well that turned out weird. At least you can see the 
bottle and the little pointy tipped bottle that I transfer the
diluted liquid into. Sorry!

For the rest of the story you will just have to go to the old tutorial. Maybe one of these days I will actually figure out how to put it all on a concise little video. And, because I know they are coming, I will attempt to answer the most common followup questions you may have.

  1. Where do you buy Liquid Thread?  I can usually buy it at Michael's Crafts locally. Because I use so much I have been buying it in quantity lately, online. http://www.save-on-crafts.com/liquidthread.html
  2. How much water do you add when you dilute it?  I usually mix one part water to two parts Liquid Thread. Other people have told me they add less. I recommend testing and experimenting with it to decide what works best for you.
  3. Can I use it on any kind of fabric? It works best on quilting weight cottons and fabrics of a similar weight. It does not do well with sheer fabrics or very thin silks.
  4.  Does it wash out? Once it has been ironed it is permanent. Before it is ironed you can easily wash it out, which is very helpful if you drip it where you don't want it.
  5. Where do I get a teflon pressing sheet? I have found them locally in fabric stores. Also available online. I especially like the Goddess sheet, but any of them work. http://www.amazon.com/Attached-Goddess-Sheet/dp/B004UMVKYY
  6. Anything else? When diluting Liquid Thread mix it with cold water. I made the mistake of adding hot water and it created clumps that clogged the hole in the lid of the applicator bottle. It didn't occur to me that this was a heat-activated adhesive. Duh!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Terry. When I saw the original tutorial, I remembered it but the actual product info had fallen right out of my brain! I'm going to be trying it just as soon as I can get some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good of you to share. I wish Beacon would quit changing the name of their product. It is available in some larger quilt shops. The more people ask for it, the more shops will carry it. It is a good product, very useful. Love, Del

    ReplyDelete