Sunday, May 15, 2011

MPS Quilt Show

Ray took this picture at the end of my talk and slideshow on Friday night. I was giving my blog a little plug. The evening started off poorly when we could not get the projector and laptop to work together. Isn't that just always what happens? Fortunately I had my tech support along with me—Ray—who got it figured out before time for the program to start. Everyone was in the lobby drinking wine and munching on fabulous hors d'Ĺ“uvres and never knew there was a problem. It went well from there on. I showed a lot of my quilts, including the Twelve by Twelve quilts that are in the book. Had a good crowd and lots of interest.

On Saturday I went for the day and sat with my quilts. I sold and signed books.



It was great. I sold all the books I had with me and took orders for more. But best of all was seeing old friends and talking to people about my work and the book. So many people who had been at the talk the night before came by to tell me that they were inspired to try some small art quilts and/or to put together a challenge group like our 12 x 12 group. I planned to walk through the show and take some photos, but could barely get away from my table to quickly see the show, much less take pictures. It was a beautiful show and set up so well for viewing.

I sat at my table and people-watched for a lot of the day. These three ladies swept through the show in their fancy hats, heavily embellished jackets and long skirts made from old silk ties. I asked them if they were part of a group or were selling something. The answer was, "No. We are just three friends who like to go to quilt shows so we made special outfits to wear when we go out." Well, OK! I had seen them at the Clark County Quilt show that Gerrie and I went to awhile back. Here they are greeting a child dressed like a princess. Kindred spirits.

The gorgeous orchid on my table was a gift for me to take home, along with a nice gift certificate. I am so proud of the guild that I helped to start so many years ago. A great group of smart, talented and competent women. Their show was flawless and it was really an honor to be part of it.

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous, Terry. Wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!!! Those are my kinds of ladies! They must be having a lot of fun!

    And congrats, Terry--the booth looks great! Glad is was successful! Everyone needs a good experience like that once in a while! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and sounds like a wonderful weekend! Your booth looks great. Congratulations on an inspiring presentation too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun weekend. I love the display of your work. I envy the people who got to see it in person. I ordered your book a week ago and it arrived on Friday! It is fabulous. I have not read it yet but I am really enjoying it!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done!
    Congrats to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh to have been in Portland for a few days. Beautiful work, wonderful display. So glad you had your tech guy along.

    I saw those ladies on another blognot long ago. Makes for great photos.

    Totally off topic...Rob won it all, Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your booth looks great and the quilts are fantastic. I also noticed your birds on the table. I love that pattern and have made many to give to my friends this spring. You are an inspiring woman. Congrats on the book signing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I couldn't make it; conflicting obligations both Friday night and Saturday. I'm so glad it was a success.

    ReplyDelete