Saturday, October 02, 2010

Maryhill Museum part 2

Here are more photos I took at the Maryhill Museum on Thursday. I'll start at the bottom level of the museum with Rodin, since that is where we started.



Here is the girl with the roses in her hair in her entirety. I love the little spray of rosebuds on her shoulder.

Also on the bottom floor of the museum there is a large collection of chess sets from around the world. A couple of my favorites:


The top is Dresden china, the bottom ivory.

Also on the bottom level is a very large collection of Native American art and craft, including baskets, beadwork, stone carving and some wonderful old photos.



I loved the addition to this beadwork, of embellishments that includes little bells, Chinese coins and a silver thimble.





These two stone pieces were collected from the Columbia River area and are very similar to petroglyphs made by the native people on the cliffs along the river.

I loved this beautiful photo, with the girl in her heavily beaded cape. You can see American flag motifs in the beaded design. The woman on the right appears to be holding a pet fox.

The lower hallway is lined with photos and memorabilia from Loie Fuller, the famous dancer of the period (1890s) and the friend of Sam Hill who convinced him to create the museum.
dressed for a part in a play

Her signature dance style involved yards and yards of swirling fabric.

One room of the main floor of the museum contains many items that belonged to Queen Marie of Romania, Sam Hill's friend and patroness of the museum. This crown was stunning and I was happy to see the photo of Queen Marie wearing it.



The frame for the photo is typical of the style of much of the furniture and decorative pieces in this collection. Intricate relief carving of geometric designs, covered with gold leaf.


The embroidery and bead work on her coronation gown is incredible.

One room is dedicated to Maryhill's collection of Orthodox icons, many also gifts of Queen Marie. This is a favorite part of the museum for me. I love the flat, stylized figures in traditional icons. The faces are especially wonderful.





These two early 20th century paintings are by Elizabeth Paxton and William Paxton, husband and wife.


Lovely, aren't they? And so good together.

The museum is so oddly eclectic. Wonderful exhibits, vastly unrelated to one another! But that is its charm for me.

Still more to come...

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:04 AM

    Thank you for sharing the delights of your visit. I'll have to make that trip again soon with someone who will enjoy it as much as I will (NOT my husband or kids! LOL!) Beautiful pieces. Simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree fully, such an odd mix but so good together. Thanks for taking me back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much for sharing this...it is art that makes life, and the myriad of cultures all crammed into this space make it sooo...well...Inuit to China...what great booty...thanks so much. i love the thimble used as adornment..i have a thai blouse loaded up with coins..i don't know why it gives me such pleasure to wear...i am going back to have yet another look. hugs judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gem of a museum! I especially like the two chess sets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love visiting art museums. Thanks for taking us along!

    Love all the amazing things from Marie of Romania.....

    ReplyDelete