Saturday, March 14, 2009

Domestic still lifes

Or is it still lives?

I haven't stepped foot outside my house today, except for a quick trip to the grocery store. It was cold and rainy out and nice and cozy in, so the choice was simple. I worked on the tree quilt for awhile and noticed how pretty the messy top of my little chest in the sewing room looked with all the thread spools. This is where I plunk them as I change thread on the machine. When things start falling on the floor I gather them up and put them away on the thread rack. (do I really need three pincushions/pin holders? I guess I must.)


I had everyone (kids, son-in-law and grandchild) for Irish dinner today.


I love corned beef with cabbage, potatoes and carrots. And, of course, right around St. Patrick's Day all those ingredients are available on sale.


My mother never failed to cook corned beef and cabbage every St. Patrick's day. She said it was in honor of our Irish heritage. Maybe, but from what I've seen of our geneology I don't remember an Irish branch of any of the families. So, I just go with the slogan that says, "on St. Patrick's day (or the Saturday before, as the case may be) everyone is Irish." Whatever. It's an excuse for a delicious dinner.

My hearing is returning, slowly. What a relief. I have never had an ear infection that bad.

7 comments:

  1. How good your hearing is coming back. Hope you are recovering soon completely.
    I know what it is like to be excluded from conversation, because I am 40% deaf on one ear, due to a trauma from a signal gun shot next to my ear when I was 17. So it is normal for me to hear every sound from the wrong direction and, in larger company, I just sit there smiling and following my own thoughts. I found out: Where more than 6 people talk at the same time, it is not really worth listening. Or I concentrate on the one next to my "good" ear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your hearing is coming back. That would be an awful thing to go through. Your dinner looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful feast! And a great use for a head of cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yum, yum, yummy.

    BTW, I really like the quilting on the tree project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think we can get corn beef in Beatty, NV. Indeed, we haven't had carrots in a month! So this St. Patrick's day, I'll reread your blog and daydream a bit.

    By the way, happy birthday. I have one coming up on Tuesday, which is why, in spite of my not-a-bit-Irish heritage, St. Pat's is always good. I bet Beatty has green beer, though.

    Glad your hearing is coming back

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:43 AM

    Nasty things those ear infections. Glad you are getting better.

    Despite being nearly 100% Irish (my dad IS), I hate corned beef and cabbage. So, I will celebrate with some Smithwick's ale (imported from Ireland- not a stout fan either). As for celebrating St. Patrick's day, well, considering he wasn't Irish and his "driving the snakes out of Ireland" refers to killing off of the Druids, I guess I don't see much to celebrate about him. Now, if we could have lasting peace between the Catholics and the Protestants, THAT would be worth celebrating.

    Regardless, have a wonderful day.

    Hugs,

    teri

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy to hear you're feeling better. Into Manhattan for the parade with relatives...woohoo!! Oh! and a bit of stout. Your dinner looks very yummy

    ReplyDelete