Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The House

Here is our new house. We closed and took possession last week. We won't be moving for awhile because we are doing some remodeling first. We have not sold our current house yet, either. I showed you the blue and purple kitchen here. It is our first order of business. The day we got the keys Ray started tearing out cabinets.

Here's a shot of what will be the dining area with the kitchen on the left and what will be our den on the right.

That middle door leads to a bathroom. I am not a fan of bathrooms opening onto eating areas. (yuck!) This door will be closed off and another created from the utility room which lies beyond the door on the left. There will also be some small wall extensions built to better define the den area. And the half and half floor deal has to go. As you can see I am also facing serious wallpaper removal. I am something of an expert in that area.

Here's the livingroom. As my son-in-law observed, "these people really liked blue." Yes, they did. I do not.


Those godawful draperies were actually custom-made. I had assumed that the blue sections on the bottom were added to make storebought drapes longer. Nope. They were intentionally planned that way. In an odd way I am glad that I don't like any of this stuff. It gives me permission to choose only things that I do like and not have to adapt to someone else's taste. (Well, except for Ray, but he's easy!)

I have a feeling you'll be seeing a lot of this project.

P.S. I am trying to find a light fixture like the one in this picture. If anyone can tell me where I can find it I will send you this moon postcard.

This picture is an ad from a magazine. The ad was for the cabinets, not the light fixture.

7 comments:

  1. The new house has some nice features and I love the little bridged path. Have you looked at Rejuvenation Hardware or Hippo Hardware (in PDX)? It has a Frank Lloyd Wright look to it. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pendant light is identical in style just with a bit more decoration which may not be what you want. I do like Lighting Direct for lighting as they have a lot of choices.
    Hope this helps, I look forward to seeing the house take shape!

    Becky
    http://tinyurl.com/3ab7nr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:43 PM

    Have you checked glob4 alighting? I like this one:http://www.destinationlighting.com/storeitem.jhtml?iid=7927

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:48 AM

    That's a Mission-style pendant lamp. There's a magazine, Style 1900, that celebrates the Arts & Crafts style and that has lots of ads for lamps, furnture, textiles, etc. The A&C lamps often had mica panels (rather than the white ones in your example) but the glass can be whatever you want it to be.

    This style of lamp is popular, so pretty much any lighting store or home center (Home Depot, Lowe's) should have something similar.

    If you get stuck, there are lighing places that specialize in the A&C style. Some of the websites for illuminators who advertise in Style 1900 are:

    www.missionspirit.com

    www.studio-233.com

    www.Fedde.com
    (this site has an ad in the Fall 2007 issue with lamps almost identical the one you've shown)

    www.HistoricLighting.com

    www.brasslight.com

    www.oldcalifornia.com

    www.lundbergstudios.com

    www.craftsmancopper.com

    www.aurorastudios.com

    www.roycroftcampuscorporation.com

    Happy hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ! I found your blog through Oregon blogs! I wanted to find some artists who live in Portland to get some views on the city! A friend of mine is in the process of moving there and I have been tossing around the idea of doing the same! Feel free to visit my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.lightinguniverse.com/products/view.aspx?sku=1260996

    I see this site wasn't included in with the others. I found this one on page 8 of "large pendants"...I like it in the "rust" color :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry, if you contact the cabinet company in the advert, they will know the owner of the house they worked in, and could give you contact details. You could ask the owner a) where they got it, or b) if they want to part with it!

    ReplyDelete