Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Close, but no cigar

Wow. I appreciate all the suggestions for light fixtures. I probably should have mentioned that I have already exhausted most of the possibilities offered. I have looked at every lighting store in Portland, including Lowe's, Home Depot, Restoration, Rejuvenation, Globe, etc. I have seen many Mission and Arts and Crafts style lights.

I looked at every single web site you sent me and didn't find this exact light. What I especially liked about the one in the picture is that it does not have the typical ornamentation of this lighting style—no overlays, no leaded glass, no mica shade, but it does have nice substantial hardware, which appears to be copper, and the shade is plain glass. I liked the proportion of this one as well. It seems simple, but sometimes those are the hardest things to find.

I may have to settle for something else, in which case you all have given me some options. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:51 PM

    speaking from my days of chasing down props and set dressing... If you really have your heart set on that particular fixture, have you contacted the cabinet company that ran the ad? Then you might be able to do the "house that Jack built" thing:
    -the company might be able to tell you the name of the ad company

    -the ad company should be able to tell you the name of the photographer

    -the photographer could tell you the name of the stylist

    -the stylist could tell you the soure of the source of the lamp.

    Another possibility -- One of the best go-to places here in New York is:
    Bowery Lighting
    132 Bowery
    New York, NY 10013
    (212) 941-8244
    (212) 414-8244

    Their website is 'under construction' but their on-site inventory is huge and the staff is knowledgeable and helpful. I think if you sent them the photo they could help you track it down.

    in your spare time, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could get a stained glass person to make you a similar one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is pretty close, especially if you look at the picture of it actually hanging and not just the stark one on the order page.

    http://tinyurl.com/yue2tt

    ReplyDelete