Friday, June 29, 2007

Happy Birthday Becky


Fifty-seven years ago my sister Becky (Rebecca Sue) was born and destroyed my perfectly self-centered, 4-year old, only-child world! To my shame I do remember wailing at my poor mother, "take her back—that baby's ruined everything!" A sentiment that recurred only once or twice in the ensuing years.
Awhile ago my daughter, watching my nieces together, reflected on how nice it would have been to have a sister and I thought, for probably the thousandth time, how lucky I am to have my sister. We bickered, but we were also great playmates and I felt very protective of her when we were little. You can see what a beautiful, sunny little girl she was. If you saw her today you would recognize that smile. It hasn't changed. She works with special ed kids and deaf children and especially loves the littlest ones, helping them and their parents prepare for school and life. All children love her quiet voice and nurturing ways and it has always been that way. I think we all knew she would spend her life working with children when she was still a child herself.
Becky has had a rough year. My birthday wish is for a much better one this year. Happy Birthday, Beck.
Love, Ter

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Beck!!

    Wish I were still in your area so that I could come and give you a hug.

    Love and roses,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky you are to have a sister.
    I always wanted one, so I'll chime in with a wish for a better year for Becky, too. We all need as many good wishes as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:31 AM

    Oh, thank you! You didn't mention that I cry at the drop of a hat and so am snorfling over the lovely words you had for me. I am the lucky one to have a sister that I can still call on for help, encouragement, and some great memories. I have been smiling over your treasures. They brought back some wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hugs to you Becky. hope this year is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly wish this for Sophie and Hannah.

    Lovely tribute!

    ReplyDelete