Sunday, March 18, 2007

Taxco


Our arrival, by bus, to the silver city of Taxco deposited us at a charming bus station at the bottom of a hill, with the city and Cathedral towering visibly above us. The little town climbs up the side of quite a steep hill, accessible by narrrow, winding streets. The only cars that seem to make any sense here at all are Volkswagon bugs. The ones you see in this photo, taken from the hotel balconey, are taxis of the kind we used to arrive at the foot of a steep set of stairs leading to the hotel. Our climb up those stairs, dragging our suitcases, was rewarded by a beautiful, cozy set of rooms opening off balconys with spectacular views.

From the common room, where breakfast was served you could see this view of the kitchen. Who was the woman in the painting? I don't know, but I was glad she was overseeing the kitchen.

Loved the tile in our bathroom.

What a beautiful place. Colorful. Cheerful. Beautiful, friendly people.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Oh, my! The cathedral dome is fabulous! The mosaic is beautiful, the carving is exquisite. I think I would be tempted to stand and stare at the cathedral all day. Well, I got an eyeful of everything else. The tile, the balconies, the view, the crafts--all gorgeous. I would love to have one of those calla lily vases or no, a sunflower pitcher or a chilies bowl. And you didn't even show us the silverwork. Oy, I think I'd love Taxco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my favorite pictures of your trip. What a fun time.

    I keep checking to see if there is baby news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:01 AM

    Love that last photo. I love to photograph piles of pottery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Taxco, we used to sit in the Zocalo infront of the cathedral and people watch forever.

    ReplyDelete