Thursday, December 28, 2006

Counting down, looking back

One of my goals for 2006 was to spend more time making art. Above you will see an overview of most of the work I made this year. I am pleased, overall, with what I accomplished. I hope the coming year will allow me to do even more. It has been exciting to sell some pieces. It has been exciting to exhibit some work in both familiar and in new venues. It has been satisfying to try new ideas and experiment with new techniques. I am happy to have been able to donate work that has raised money for worthwhile causes. It has been wonderful to meet and get to know new friends who do the same kind of work, and to appreciate more than ever, the friends who have been here for so long.
Personally, it has been a year of sadness and of great joy. It has been a year of putting priorities in place and making hard decisions. And, jeez!—it was the year I turned 60, which was something that was quite breathtaking and sobering and a lot to think about. I have come to the end of this year quite happy and looking forward to really wonderful things in the coming year.
I hope you've all had a good year as well.
P.S. The composite, above, is of most of the quilts I made this year. It is not one big quilt! Seems like that isn't immediately clear. (see the first comment)

17 comments:

  1. This quilt is quite striking on my computer screen. Thanks for posting it.

    Sometimes I wonder if there is such a thing as a year without stress or transitions. Maybe one has to start to think of those things as normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy new year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:32 AM

    Terry - I love seeing all your pieces in the collage format (it WOULD make an exquisite quilt, though!)Your style is so distinctive...terrific body of work, especially for a year. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

    --suze (http://caricol.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Terry. You've certainly achieved plenty. Have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful work! Hope the New Year brings many happy things for you and your family, and lots of opportunities for more great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:49 PM

    Terry,

    I was so impressed with your composite that I made one of my own work. I need to go back and give you credit. What a good idea. The portraits really leap out in this format. And how nice to see it all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:24 PM

    I need to do this - but not tonight! Looks fantastic and I have been gere to see them in person = even better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've had such a productive year as an artist. It's certainly had its ups and downs in other ways, but you have a body of work to be proud of. Happy new year, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Your work is marvelous. Such a treat getting to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice composite--you were busy!
    How did you do this--in photoshop?
    auora

    ReplyDelete
  11. simply amazing!!! congratulations on work well done.
    laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been so productive and what a wonderful idea to consolidate your work in one place. You can really get a sense of achievement and development. Thanks for the idea - I will give it a go as well.
    happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  13. you've been sooo busy with all your creative stuff this year...what a show! and a great way to look back over the year... I like the sense of completion rather than just runnin on and on so I'll try it too. Thank you for showing us and hope you don't mind us taking your idea to display :) all the very best for 2007, may it be equally fruitful x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an impressive composite - even more impressive that it is only one year's worth of work. I think if I made a composite, it would be for a whole lifetime's worth of work. Congratulations! I hope you keep it up. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Terry! This is a stunning body of work and an achievement worthy of pride :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful composition, fabulous colors. You desire to be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Terry,
    Your work shows up beautifully...What a great way to see all you've accomplished this year. You have a strong look that comes through in your work! I'm sure you feel very proud of this great body of work.

    ReplyDelete