Sunday, December 03, 2006

Christmas Socks

Since I discovered the radio.blog site I can share a favorite Christmas song off and on through the month. I hope you figured out yesterday that if you click on the icon you can play the song. Sometimes it takes a couple of clicks on the little arrow to get it to play



I do love the story of Good King Wenceslas and even more after discovering that he was a real person, who was made a Saint. The image of the King and his page trekking out through bitter weather to take food and wine and gifts to the poor is a beautiful thing.

Many years ago my mother-in-law made these needlepoint Christmas socks for my kids. Santa has been filling their socks every year they have been home ever since. This year we decided to give Santa a break and the five of us drew names and will fill the sock of the person whose name we drew.

I had this sock that my grandmother made for me eons ago. I think it was made from a kit. She made them for all her grandchildren. My mother kept it at her house for years and whenever we visited at Christmas it would be filled. It has been tucked away here in a drawer since Mom died.



Cayo and Ray did not have special Christmas socks, so I made these last week. This is a whole new Christmas tradition for Cayo. No filling of Christmas socks in Ecuador.


These last are plain old crew socks that I am taking to a Christmas party this afternoon at a friend's house. She suggested, instead of a hostess gift, guests might want to bring new socks that will be donated to a charity that feeds and assists homeless and hungry people. Isn't that a great idea?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:03 PM

    Oh, yes, you made me fall in love with radio.blog! Actually, what I like about it is that it's my option to play it. I hate blogs and websites that blast into music, involuntarily, when you open them. I mean, if a person were at the OFFICE and SEEMED to be WORKING, it could get embarrassing to suddenly blast out with some blogger's idea of a musical treat...... Then the boss is onto ya..... Not that I would ever do anything like that, you know.....

    Now, to find the album the Joni Mitchell song came from.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:56 AM

    And I always loved the wonderfully creative way Santa filled the socks at your house. Not just candy and nuts (although there was always plenty of that!) but puzzles, trendy little toys, rubber duckies, jars of nut butters, jewelry, and, of course, a tooth brush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Beck, I know you also have one of those "antique" Christmas socks that Grandma Hazle made for all of us. Does Santa fill it for you? And doesn't he leave a toothbrush in everyone's sock? If your answer is "no" I think you'd better pack up that sock and head down here for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete