Monday, October 23, 2006

St. Croix

St. Croix, also one of the U.S. Virgin Islands, is about 30 miles from St. Thomas. Ray needed to meet with some folks at the St. Croix campus of UVI, so we took the seaplane over Sunday morning and came back this afternoon.


I loved St. Croix. It's not as crowded and busy as St. Thomas. We stayed in Christiansted, the largest of two main towns on the island. It has a beautiful waterfront area with a boardwalk. The old stone tower is typical of ones that you see all over the island, among the ruins of old Sugar plantations.

On Sunday we rented a car and explored the island, including the other town, Frederiksted. Today, while Ray was working, I explored Christiansted. The buildings are not as old as those in St. Thomas although it has a similar history, but most of Christansted was burned in a slave uprising in the late 1800s. The architecture is charming and the waterfront area has many beautiful shops and galleries in the old buildings.

























These whimsical silhouettes were painted on the back side of the hotel we were staying in. The top figure is a mermaid crawling up the stairs on her belly.

Thanks for the comments about my pictures. I'm glad people are enjoying them. I will have more St. Croix pics to post tomorrow. What you don't see in these pictures is how hot it is down here. By the time we got back today I felt like I had sweated every drop of liquid out of my body. It really makes Oregon cool and rain sound appealing.

2 comments:

  1. One of my fave coffee mugs is a replica of the sugar mill tower. I bought it at an arts and craft faire when we were on the island. All those photos look familiar - I think I have them on a cd someplace! It is nice and cool and rainy this am - very Portlandish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. St Croix is very colorful. The silhouettes are very whimsical.

    ReplyDelete