Saturday, September 24, 2005

Ecuador


Our daughter lives in Ecuador, so we have been there a number of times. I love the folk art and textiles you find there, and can't resist the wonderful markets, especially the one in Otavalo. http://www.otavalo.com/ The Otavalenos are especially famed for their weaving. While it is similar to weaving from Mexico or Guatamala, I find the quality much better. The piece in the photo is about 5 feet long and is all wool. It hangs in the stairwell of our house and makes me happy everytime I look at it.

Here are some other woven wool items I purchased in Otavalo. The smaller pieces are pillow covers--I need to buy some pillow forms to go into them--and I love my shoulder bag with wonderful soft leather trim so much I am almost afraid to use it.

The colors in these weavings make me warm and nostalgic for Ecuador and the Andes. Sigh----aren't they beautiful?

1 comment:

  1. They are beautiful pieces. I was just reading about Otavalo yesterday.

    ReplyDelete